R3 is a financial innovation firm that leads a consortium partnership with over 100 of the world’s leading financial institutions. We work together to design and deliver advanced distributed ledger technologies to the global financial markets.
R3 has employees based in over 11 (and counting!) countries across the globe, with our headquarters in London, alongside office locations in New York City and Singapore. Our vibrant and centrally located offices are filled with collaborative spaces, healthy (and some not so healthy!) snacks and state of the art work spaces and equipment.
The Software Engineer is responsible for contributing to the development of the R3 software stack and associated service. They will be a hands-on software engineer, able to work well at all levels of the stack: systems engineering, distributed systems design and development, through to financial modelling.
The successful candidate will have a successful track record of delivering complex software projects and be able to point to experience of establishing sound software development processes and tooling. They will be experienced in multiple languages and multiple development methodologies and will have delivered both traditional applications and solutions, delivered as a service. They are likely to have worked in both banking and startup environments and be comfortable with ambiguity. They will likely be active in one or more open source projects, have experience working in geographically distributed teams and have a sound understanding of security engineering principles. Capital Markets and/or Trading technology experience is not mandatory, but a plus.
- Participate in the programme of prototyping and experimentation required to validate the architecture and support the Use Case programme, functional and operational network system requirements and specifications
- Partner with neighbouring teams in designing, testing, deploying and operating highly scalable software defined network systems
- Design, implement and integrate systems to scale and automate network operations tasks
- Perform network and system performance analysis and tuning optimizations
- Function as technical, engineering and operational subject matter expert for complex networking systems
- Play advisory role in solution design, particularly with relation to architecture and security; resolve high-priority/high-risk design questions and ensure the design is suitable for use by R3 Product teams and bank/external users
- Tailor and deploy software tools, processes and metrics to support R3 Technology and Product goals
- Capture all changes / modifications in the deliverables that have been intimated by Project, prior to release
- Assist in preparation of deliverables with due consideration for applicable codes and standards
- Strong understanding of computer science and engineering principles, most likely obtained through a combination of advanced academic study and significant professional experience
- 3+ years experience in an enterprise level environment
- Experience working with financial institutions and systems
- Experience delivering end to end platforms and services
- Experience of working at multiple layers of the infrastructure and application stack – from systems/OS development through networking, middleware and application logic
- Problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure