We’re looking for a DevOps Team Lead that will be responsible for leading a small team of Engineers that look after the upkeep, configuration and reliable operation of full stack applications in R3’s Production, Testing, Staging and QA Environments plus any associated toolsets and infrastructure, such as DataDog, PagerDuty, ELK, NginX, Squid etc.
The DevOps Team Lead will be hands-on and lead by example to execute and the team to ensure the uptime, performance, availability and security of those services and associated resources is maintained to industry standards – 99.9% availability, SOC2 compliant etc.
This role of DevOps Team Lead is part of “project Rome”, a newly formed team working closely with selected partners to bring their application to market as a service. This exciting project combines the best of Corda based solutions and allows customers to use them in an unparelled experience. The DevOps Engineer is a pivotal role in the design, implementation and operation of the services R3 offers to its customers.
You will be working in a mutidisciplenary team, developing and bringing this new service to market. You will work alongside, and support our Customers, as well as many different teams within R3 – therefore being a team player, having a great personality, a sense of humour, being able to work under pressure, being empathetic towards different cultures, communicating effectively and hitting deadlines are all paramount to enjoying life at R3.
Affinity and, or experience with an Agile way of working and design thinking methodologies will help you excel as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Be as creative and innovative as you need to be so that you and your team are accountable for the automation, implementation and continuous deployment of Notary and Nodes in all environments that the team is responsible for.
- People manager to a range of employees, including technical focused employees, which may be entry through to intermediate level. Within this role, you shall be responsible for setting goals, offering feedback (developmental, technical, behavioural etc.), source and devise development opportunities and provide longer term career guidance.
- Feel free to explore solutions that will help you own the delivery of robust, maintainable, standards-compliant configuration and infrastructure in an agile engineering environment.
- Build effective, productive relationships with Engineering, Product Management, QA, Security, Support and other technical teams to ensure services can be launched in a planned, orderly and consistent manner to defined standards and key performance indicators.
- Work with other department leaders to ensure we’re prioritising the work that needs to be completed. You know it’s important, even if others don’t, so it needs to be done.
- Actively work to unblock issues faced by the team during delivery; hopefully by coaching team members rather than taking on the work yourself. But if you need to get involved, you will.
- Understand and proactively plan software and infrastructure over a period of 3-5 years to meet both technical and business needs. We should aim to be the best at what we do and keep our standards as high as possible.
- Be an inspirational influence and mentor to other team members. Be positive and confident in everything that we do – we learn from our mistakes and taking calculated risks needs to be rewarded.
- Superb interpersonal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Vision, drive and passion – someone who inspires others to aim high. You know what excellent looks like and you want everyone to be involved in this journey.
- Able to lead from the front, but also understand that everyone is motivated differently – adjusting your style to get the best from your team.
- Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting UNIX /Linux based environments, preferably for a financial services institution
- Solid experience in the implementation and administration of Notary & Nodes
- Solid Cloud experience, preferably in Azure
- Experience with monitoring systems (DataDog, JMX, Jolokia)
- Solid experience with automation software (Ansible & Terraform)
- Experience with central logging systems (preferable ELK)
- Experience of deploying, using and managing the Atlassian tool set (Jira, Service Desk etc).
- Solid experience with containerisation (Kubernetes)
- Solid scripting skills (shell, Python)
- Solid networking knowledge
- Solid understanding and experience of security engineering
- Deep and broad understanding of computer science and engineering principles, most likely obtained through significant professional experience
- Thought Leadership – you know where the architecture, infrastructure and product needs to be in the short, medium and long term. And you can explain that to anyone in a way which makes it sound obvious.
- Organisational Leadership – you can work on problems of diverse scope where analysis is required. You can get your head down and break up gnarly problems into smaller, bite size, chunks.
- People Leadership – You’re respected by your peers and your team because they trust you and you trust them.
- Accountability – High sense of urgency. Takes ownership to get the job done and deliver upon the objectives and goals of the business by leveraging the skills of your team and others.
- Customer Focus – Makes and meets customer commitments understanding that their requirements are what drive those of the business. The success of our business is based upon the success of our customers and everyone needs to understand this.
- Motivation – Self-motivated to go beyond the standard day to day workload to deliver the best result for the business. You have the ability to guide the team (and the company) through the ever changing landscape of SRE/DevOps.
At R3, we encourage a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you don’t meet all of the above criteria, but you think you’d be a great addition to R3, send us your CV. We’re always interested in meeting collaborative people who are excited to work with us.