As the Head of Product Management, you will bring your experience to help lead a multi-disciplinary Product team to deliver a world-class enterprise suite of products with great market fit. With a sense of urgency and determination, you will break down complex problems to make data-driven decisions that best serve the long term health of the product portfolio and cater to our direct customers and our customer’s customer.
The ultimate measure of your success is the success of your products in the market. You own the product vision, strategy and roadmap for Corda and the products and services that leverage Corda and will ensure this is consistently translated into the functionality required to best capture the opportunity at hand. You realize a product strategy is a balance of technical capability, user experience, market forces and customer needs. You must consistently balance the near term needs of our current customers with the long term growth of our market fit, and where possible drive this balance through empirical market and technical tests and data. In short, consistently anticipating and solving the needs of our current and future customers.
You love software and have an intimate knowledge in how to develop and deliver software. You should have the ability to talk directly with engineers on translating those needs to technical specifications. You will be adept at communicating with highly-technical engineering teams, often debating them on their terms whilst always pushing them to think on our customers’ terms – and will have a strong track record of driving market requirements into the engineering process through influence and persuasion and helping the engineering team understand the market’s true needs.
As the leader of a talented and technically skilled team, you will ensure your team members have the resources they need and a clear plan of execution. You will grow the team to build a world-class set of product managers and strategists.
Being results oriented, you will shape, measure and improve against the KPIs that will lead to the greatest adoption of our platform. You will design experiments and feedback loops for continual improvement.
- Your responsibilities will cover these broad categories
- Set a compelling direction for Corda and all related products across the short, medium and long term. Lead the company and our customers so that they passionately get behind that direction.
- Manage the productivity of the members in your team and help guide them in their career development. Act as an active coach invested in their career development by providing consistent feedback on a regular cadence, sourcing developmental opportunities and providing long-term career guidance.
- Act as the product owner for Corda and the associated products and services. Ensure that your products are delivered on an appropriate cadence and scope.
- Own key decisions on the shape and evolution of our products, weighing the long and short term benefits, risks and costs while managing and leading stakeholders through the decision and into supporting the execution.
- Be a key input to and stakeholder in the longer term corporate strategy of R3, especially as it relates to the overall go to market of Corda.
- As a leader not just in Product but within R3, be a constructive ambassador of the product and company vision internally with all staff and externally with our clients and community.
- Product Management
- Lead the team in gathering use cases and customer evidence from various sources including: the wider engineering team, application engineering, professional services and sales engineering.
- Set the standards for how the team documents use cases in product requirement documents that guide each release of the software. Ensure the team adheres to high standards for product requirements.
- Direct you team to turn use cases into granular requirements that can be understood in a consistent framework.
- Use knowledge of the needs of customers balanced with the needs of the long term platform strategy to determine a prioritization for requested features. Work in partnership with the program management team to determine committed delivery dates for features.
- Work with the Program Management team to establish a detailed delivery schedule. Partner with the test team to ensure the solution meets the product specifications.
- Work in partnership with product marketing and other teams to deliver information on functionality, roadmap and capabilities to broader audiences.
- Product Strategy
- Create and maintain and own the product vision and strategy. Document this vision as a compelling narrative that should inspire internal and external stakeholders, and clearly shows the why and what for our platform and products. These are living documents that are updated and communicated to our stakeholders on a regular cadence.
- Perform market-facing research and customer development work to help determine future direction of the platform and to validate or challenge our existing strategy.
- Ensure that our short term work fits into the longer term technical and architectural vision by consistently stress testing new features and capabilities against the stated strategy and known design direction.
- Understand our direct and indirect competition in order to better position the platform in response.
- Establish, track and continually adjust the platform based on a designed feedback loop and experiments, including proofs-of-concept. Establish and drive KPIs related to the product.
- Capture and generate ideas that may exist outside the immediate view of our market and customers, to increase the inputs to the platform strategy and strengthen our longer term roadmap.
- Adopt a strong market focus. If in doubt, look to the market and customers for answers.
- Strive for long-term happiness. Product managing a platform inevitably involves making trade-offs. Strive to elegantly disappoint some customers in the short term to make many more customers happy in the long term.
- Always be learning. As everything evolves, we need to continually learn from the platform, customers and market.
- Always evidence requirements. Whether it’s an overwhelming intuition or a multitude of customer requests, always provide evidence for decisions.
- Prefer written communication. It’s efficient for communicating ideas and forces clear thinking. This is true for internal and external communications.
- Release often and incrementally. Focus initial deliverables on minimum viable implementations, as features can be delivered incrementally across multiple releases.
- Default to open. Do work in the open to the extent that anyone in the company can contribute if they wish to.
- Cultivate a company wide network. Applications, sales and professional services are our eyes and ears. Talk to them often so we can make the most informed decisions.
- Make it easy for people to feedback. It should be super easy for customers and colleagues to provide feedback to the platform product strategy team.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Experience leading teams
- Prior experience in Product Management roles
- BA/BS in computer science or engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in enterprise or related software
- Experience driving complex technology projects
- Experience with software engineering practices
- Must understand the sales and marketing process for enterprise solutions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
How We’re Handling Covid-19
We are extremely grateful to continue to grow as a company during these unprecedented times. Our #1 priority is the health, safety, and wellbeing of our current and future R3’ers. We want to share with you what we’re doing and what you can expect throughout our interview and on-boarding processes.
Since March, most R3’ers have been working remotely, although we have opened some key office locations global, with limited capacity for those that cannot work from home or need to come into the office.
As you go through the virtual interview process with us, please don’t worry if children or pets make a guest appearance. We understand these things happen- it’s real life after all! If we are fortunate enough to welcome you to the team, we’ll get a laptop couriered to you and get you set up virtually on your first day. We also provide you with a “Work From Home” allowance to enable you to purchase some equipment to be more comfortable and productive.
We Have And Will Continue To Take Steps To Ease Some Of The Burden For Our R3’ers
We understand that Work From Home (WFH) life can be challenging in many ways, so some of the additional support measures we have in place include;
- New Starter WFH allowance (as mentioned above) to get you setup to work productively at home
- Additional access to wellbeing resources (as well as the support provided as part of your Vitality Private Medical) including a year’s free subscription to the Headspace app and modules on our Lessonly training platform from MindGym (including Goal getting, Stress Busters and Virtual Work)
- We also have additional health and wellbeing resources available on our wiki pages when you join.